Thursday, July 13, 2006

Short Attention Sp..ahh...huh?

Technology expands once again.
A recent announcment by the folks in Redmond indicates to me that the world just got a tiny bit smaller. There will now be interoperability between Microsoft Messenger (or now part of the "Windows Live" experience) and Yahoo Messenger. So, for those of you who aren't already using Trillian or one of the other messenger aggregation services, you can now send messages across platforms. When they were initially set up, all the IM products created their own "walled gardens" as a means of keeping their customer base captive. Now, you should be able to chat with most folks, regardless of system.

But, the larger issue is - and I date myself here - Remember the days pre-IM?! Dark days to be sure. But now, I can IM a friend in Paris, walk down the hall and have a conference call with people in London, and then Skype with a buddy living in Florida. Now, from my phone, I can email or IM and from my computer, I can make calls.

The ability to be connected to the world or to access information right now is absolutely unparalleled in human history.

Having said that, though - perhaps there's something to be said for being able to disconnect as well?

2 Comments:

Blogger Mr. Gin and Tonic said...

That is why God made teh "Do Not Disturb" button for telephones

3:22 PM  
Blogger Mitch said...

I just like letting it ring... Then again, I usually have my cell phone on "vibrate."

9:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home